The amazing health benefits of chia powder
Amy Beney MS RD
Chia seeds are a nutrition powerhouse packed into small packages. One tablespoon of chia seeds provides a healthy dose of omega 3 fatty acids, protein, calcium, iron, and fiber. All are great nutrients that can make a positive impact on your health and well being.
One of the downsides of chia seeds is the texture. When chia seeds are mixed with water, they can expand up to 10-12 times their size. May people have issues with textures or have a hard time accepting the seedy consistency of hydrated chia seeds. When chia seeds are ground to chia powder, the textural aversion can be eliminated. Wondering how you can add chia seeds for baby and kids? Moms and Dads? Chia powder!
Chia powder is chia seeds that have been ground to a powder like consistency. The advantage of having the ground form is that they blend into things more smoothly. It provides the health benefits of chia seeds without the texture of traditional chia seeds.
What are chia seeds?
Chia seeds came from a dessert plant Salvia hispanica, a member of the mint family.
Why are the health benefits of chia seeds?
- Chia seeds and chia powder are full of nutrition.
- High in protein– 1 tbsp of chia powder provides 4 grams of protein.
- Excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids– Omega 3 fatty acid can help raise HDL cholesterol, lower LDL, triglycerides, and cholesterol.
- Fiber- Fiber is important for bowel regularity may help prevent regular bowel movement, satiety-which may aid in weight loss.
- Calcium– 1 tbsp contains 17% of the daily recommended amount.
Nutritional Content of Chia Seeds
1 Tablespoon of Chia Seeds
|Total Fat||9 gm|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||7 gm|
|Total Carbohydrate||12 gm|
|Magnesium||95 mg (23%)|
How to make chia powder?
- Chia powder can be purchased online or at health food stores.
- Chia seeds can also be ground in a coffee maker to a fine chia seed powder consistency.
Chia seeds for baby? Chia seeds for kids?
Babies and kids can benefit from all the nutrition that chia seeds provide. It helps with digestion, feeling full for a longer period of time. It can provide calcium to your child if they are not a big milk drinker. Chia seeds also provides almost as much protein as an egg.
Try some chia seeds or chia powder today and enjoy the health benefits they provide!
How to use chia powder
Chia powder can be mixed into almost anything.
- Mixed into pancakes
- Mixed into smoothies
- Mixed into cereals, oatmeal
- Sprinkled into salads
- It can be mixed into puddings, crisp toppings, or yogurt
Chia powder or chia seeds can be mixed into warm liquids:
- Coffee- Try chia seeds in hot coffee.
- Soups- Add chia powder to soups.
- Tea- Add chia powder or chia seeds to hot tea.
Chia for baby? Chia for kids?
Babies can benefit from all the nutrition that chia seeds provide. It helps with digestion, feeling full for a longer period of time. It can add calcium if your child is not a big milk drinker or a dairy allergy.